Injured In A Car Accident While On The Job? 3 Things To Know About Your Rights

If you were driving a vehicle for work and were involved in a car accident, you need to know about your rights following your accident. Any work related accident, including vehicle-related accidents, are covered by your employer's worker's compensation insurance. If you are injured in an accident at work, you need to file a worker's compensation claim. Here are a few more things you need to know what to do and your rights following an on-the-job car accident.

Head Over to the Hospital

When you are involved in a car accident on the job, you should take the offer for emergency services to be called so you can be transported to the hospital in an ambulance. You want to make sure that you get medical treatment right away and document that your injuries are related to your car accident. Keep in mind that car accident injuries, such as soft tissue and back injuries, can take a while to show up, so it is particularly useful if you start documenting the injuries right away and then get follow up care.

Additionally, most employers will want to run a drug and alcohol test on you after an accident. If you call your employer after the accident, there is a large likelihood that they will ask you to take the test. Going to the hospital for treatment right after the accident will make it easy for you to take this test and show that you were not responsible for the accident.

File An Accident Report

Next, you are going to need to fill out a formal accident report for your employer. You do not have to fill out the accident report until you are physical and mentally ready to do so. Do not feel pressured into filling out the accident report beforehand.

The accident report is similar to the information you would provide your car insurance agent with when you are involved in an accident. You would state what you were doing and what happened leading up to and during the accident. Only state the facts and do not assume responsibility for the accident.

You may be asked to state your injuries as well. Be sure to note in detail all the injuries that you suffered from and if these injuries are ongoing. If the injuries are ongoing that is an important detail, as your worker's compensation case cannot be closed until all of your injuries as resolved.

Work with An Attorney

Finally, you should be assigned an attorney knowledgeable in worker's compensation and personal injury law to work with. Your attorney will work to make sure that you are justly compensated for your lost wages. If you suffered a serious injury, your attorney will make sure that you get the medical care that you need and that your workplace holds onto your job and respects the doctor's orders.

If it ends up that you cannot work your same job anymore, your attorney will help you work out a settlement with your employer and worker's insurance company that will cover your future lost wages and job training for a new career that you can do.

If you are involved in a car accident at work, you need to file a worker's compensation claim to pay for your medical bills and lost wages. This is not an expense that you have to bear on your own.